Friday, March 2, 2012

A few pre-trip words from Emily

As I start pulling things together for this trip - deciding whether it really was a good idea not to replace my middle school-era passport, ordering euros and pounds, keeping a mental catalogue of clothing items I have to bring, and even teaching myself a bit of French - I am thinking back. I'm remembering the summer after seventh grade, when I first got out of the country without my parents. I visited the South Pacific, then. The trip gave me a taste of the world beyond North America. A couple summers after that, I ticked South America off my list when I visited Ecuador. And now, I'm less than two months away from London and Paris. Each time I've traveled, the experience has held a different meaning for me. The South Pacific trip was what really sparked my interest in other cultures. Ecuador was an emotionally and physically intense month; I trekked in the Andes and lived in close quarters with a small group of people. 

Going to Europe, I'm not entirely sure what to expect. 

Europe has burst to the forefront of history in many places; it's hovered on the edges in others. Without Europe, the United States would not exist as it does. I would not exist as I do. I come from travelers on the Mayflower, from Irishmen, and Scots, and the Swedes who emigrated at the turn of the century. I've learned, through the years, about how the Pilgrims crossed the Atlantic. I've seen how the decisions of world leaders and governing bodies created the situations that brought my ancestors together. I've learned about famines, and promises of happiness, and escapes from prosecution that drew people into the US throughout the 1800s. I've seen how I come from Cogans, Olsons, and Parkers. 

And as I learn more about European history, from the falls of various empires, to the many treaties of Paris, to the recent creations of organizations like NATO and the European Union (and how even new developments tie into so many old ones), my sense of the importance of being conscious of the world around me has only become stronger. My recognition of history's influence on the individual - and vice versa - has become clearer than anything else. 

If I want to move into the world as a culturally and politically conscious being, I need to recognize the importance of experiencing history: not just through the textbook, but through the world beyond the US.  

Any taste of the world beyond our borders is an important one. Though I'm only going to Europe for a brief period of time, I hope my visit will allow me to see just a little deeper into the historically influenced culture of the Eastern hemisphere. 
 
Emily
Grade 11

No comments:

Post a Comment