Monday, March 5, 2012

Pre-Trip post from Danielle

As the days continue to tick down until our April vacation there is one thought that seems to stay in my head. So many people wonder why I am so excited for it to come, and then I have to remind them it is my first trip out the country. MY trip to England and France! You would not be able to imagine how many emotions are running through me at the very thought of this trip. The excitement is making me scream every time anyone mentions the trip. I mean I, Danielle, will be leaving the country in less than two months. I never thought I would be able to say that so early in my life. I see this trip as a door to so many opportunities I cannot have
over here in the United States. I have already planned with Elieser and Olivia that we are definitely eating snails. A hope of mine is to someday go to college at Stanford and then continue my studies at Oxford University. Being able to visit there will hopefully help me decide if that plan is what I really want in life. Plus there if the fact that I get to go see Stonehenge. I mean people have heard about Stonehenge since they were small kids and I will finally be able to say I have visited it. I am guessing you know one of my biggest excitements but I will write it anyways. It’s for shopping of course! I swear anytime I think about the shopping over there I begin to have heart palpitations. Just overall, I honestly feel this trip will be the best opportunity in my life. Despite the bad that has happened in life, I will have this experience as a positive good and that can be a strength that keeps me moving forward. I guess you can say excitement is number one but fear is a close second. I will share a phrase that pops in my head every so often. It is “what if the trip doesn’t go how you’ve planned?” You see I have created this fantasy world over those nine days where nothing wrong happens. There are no arguments or fights and I can fill this thirst for adventure I have always had. This is a chance for me to show how far I have come in my life. A chance for me to mostly fend for myself as well as listen to an adult who is not my parent. I am sometimes concerned about whether I'm wrong in my excitement. What if this trip is messed up from the start and is never able to recover? I guess I feel this trip may be a lot more important for me than it is to others. Some see this as there chance to go out of the country again and mark another place off their list of where they want to travel. That is not me though. I have to look at this trip as maybe my only time ever being able to leave the country, which is why I have so many emotions about it. I mean honestly I already feel so accomplished about it. How many minority girls can say that they went out of the country at 15 years old? Not many at all, and yet soon I will be able to say I have. That alone has my mind blown. If I were to push aside the excitement and fear though what is left is how
grateful I am. Grateful to Ms.Cote for bringing the trip to my school, but most of all to my mother. She has told us from the beginning that any opportunity she did not have as a child she wanted us to have, and this is just a testament of it. From the start she did not focus on the significant amount of  money she would have to contribute but instead at how much this trip would mean to us. At the end of the day I wouldn’t even be able to go on this trip without all my mom has done, which is why I’m ending this entry talking about her.

-Danielle
Grade 9

No comments:

Post a Comment