Friday, March 9, 2012

"Viva La Europe!" by Stephanie

London. England. Paris. France. My soon to be destinations. Yet they feel so distant and unknown to me. If someone were to ask me what I was most excited for, I'd ponder the whole unexpectedness of the trip. Me? Honestly I've hardly ever left my hometown of Springfield. Yet in a little more than a month I will find myself on the streets of Europe. It's a huge deal! This isn't just some spring break trip in Florida; it's a completely different continent. Will I change? Will I feel different when I get there? These are the thoughts I have found myself pondering lately. I mean I think they are acceptable thoughts to have. When we venture far away to a new place we don't know, where we will find ourselves, or as a matter of fact where we will loose ourselves. All I'm is expecting at this point is some sort of unexpected yet unique and euphoric experience. I'm hoping for the best now but in reality I can't really know what to expect from it while I remain here. However I have had a lingering prediction of my moment of enlightenment. You see it goes something like this; I have spent hours on end sitting in a cramped seat with little sleep and lots of hope and excitement. I finally get out of the plane where I have been cooped up for a bit too long; I regain my strength, and head out to collect my belongings. I gather all of my things with some waiting around here and there. And finally after all that is done the group gathers and plans and we exit the airport. It is my first experience stepping foot out of America, all I have ever known. All I know for sure now is that it will be like nothing I have even seen and encountered before. It will be amazing and it will be breath-taking and it just may be life changing. So as I remain here, in this country, counting down the days, saving up the money, pondering, and hoping for the best the truth is that I have no clue what international travel will bring for me and what unexpected things will happen to me. All I know is that this trip is not just going to be a physical journey, but a personal and internal journey that I will learn and grow from; and never, ever, ever forget all that happened and all that changed for me due to it. 

Stephanie
Grade 10

No comments:

Post a Comment